Indiana University Freshman Bucket List

Move in day for freshman at my alma mater, Indiana University, was this past week.  I cannot believe it has been 10 years since I moved into Teter Rabb for my freshman year at IU! It seems like it was just yesterday that my best friend and I were schlepping all of our stuff from that front circle drive up to our room.  I keep seeing all these post from IU social media and have been reminiscing all week about my time at IU, especially my freshman year.  I decided to put together a list of things that freshman should do in their first year at IU.  To all you college freshman, and especially IU freshman, enjoy your time because you will have some of the best years of your life at college.

Explore campus | IU Bloomington has one of the prettiest campuses you will find.  There is something to be said for its beauty during each season.  Take a walk through campus and explore some of the hidden beauty.  I still seem to find new little discoveries each time I'm back for a visit.

Get involved in student organizations | There are so many organizations on campus that there is surely something for your interests.  I was on the Union Board for three and half years and value, not only the experience I had while on the committee, but the freindships made while serving on UB.

See a show at the IU Auditorium | The IU Auditorium brings in Broadway shows, national touring music acts, lecturers, and more.  Be sure to find at least one to attend throughout the year.

Volunteer on campus | There are literally hundereds of opportunities for you to get involved in giving back.  Many student organizations organize volunteering activities.  If there is an issue near and dear to your heart, chances are you can volunteer your time and services to that cause.

Order the Big X special from Pizza X | Grab some friends and order this Big X special (known at the Big 10 when I was there) and enjoy pizza and breadsticks after a long day of classes, studying, or just because.

Tailgate before home football games | You must experience the tailgate fields at least once whether you make into a football game or not.  You will have so much fun along with hundreds of your fellow classmates.

Attend Hoosier Hysteria | I grew up in Indiana so IU basketball was always huge to me.  Grab some friends, get decked out in your IU gear and go cheer for your team as the official start to the season is upon us.


Attend at least one basketball game | I recommend season tickets but understand they're expensive and basketball is not for everyone.  That being said, IU basketball is such a big deal, try to go to at least one game!


Take an interesting course as an elective just because | My suggestion for a unique elective for freshman is COLL X112: Traditions and Cultures of Indiana University.  When I was there it was mainly an online course with a few in person tests.  You learn a lot about the university.  I also ended up turning my interesting elective into a music minor after I fell in love with my Jazz for the Listener course!

Take a picture in front of the Sample Gates | If you've followed me on social media or through the blog, you may have realized that I LOVE the Sample Gates.  It's my favorite spot on campus and Wyatt and I try to get a picture each time we're in town.

Participate in group activities with floormates | Some of my absolute best memories from college are with the girls I lived in the dorm with freshman year.  They became my best friends and we're still going strong even after 10 years!

Attend the Little 500 races | Everyone hypes up the Little 5 week. Enjoy the week (safely) but be sure to attend at least one of the men's or the women's races that weekend.  It is afterall the event that has spurred all the hype!


Dip your feet in Showalter Fountain | If you don't check this off the list your freshman year, relax.  You have four years to accomplish this!  It took me three years but was a fun experience with friends that I'll remember.



No comments