On the road again...

For those of you who don't know me, I have grown up going on these grand sight seeing vacations with my family all over the United States(and we are getting ready to hit the road again...Destin in T-10 days).  Like his dad before him, my dad dragged us from one end of the country to the other...and then back again.  I should not say dragged, it is not as if we did not want to go with him.  Wanderlust is surely something I inherited from my Papaw Gib because I love to travel!  Maybe it is because traveling has been such a big part of my life to this point, maybe not.  Like I said, we have been all over the country (all of the lower 48 to be exact) but there are a few places we have made a return trip to...or several in some cases.  Did I mention that until only very recently, we have always driven.  We have only been on two (full) family vacations in which we have flown.  We once went on a 21 day road trip in which we made a circle from Indiana to Arizona, to California, up the west coast and back through the Dakotas. It was a serious adventure.  Anyway, the point of all of this is that today while on my mom's laptop getting some pictures for a project I was working on, I found some great old family pictures from vacations past.  This part will probably be more enjoyable if you actually know me.  Here are a few from my earlier days..with all my bad hair, clothes, and expressions.  Here is a sneak peek...to see the rest you must view the entire blog post.







These are in no particular order, just however they had been scanned when my mom put them on her computer.

 Just one of the few pictures I have from this spot throughout the years.

Yes, I did have attitude, even then.  Again...this is a place I've been three times.

I bet they made us hold hands...we're doing it at Idaho too (same day)



We're so cute in this picture.

Well, I don't know how this ended up being one of my favorite cities after this Spring Break trip where I had the stomach flu a good portion of the trip and couldn't eat at a Sonic for years because of the memories.

Somewhere in TN I'm sure...and I'm sure we've been there too many times to count.

I cringe when I see those socks with shorts.

Malibu beach...summer before 6th grade, part of our 21 day trip

Yosemite with the jeep(now mine) and topper.



See, holding hands.

Too bad I don't remember Disney World.



I always liked this picture of us.

Haha and this one. Cheesing big time.


Willamsburg...and Hard Rock gear from D.C.(my fannie, her t-shirt, we got way too much stuff at that Hard Rock)

I was never very good at pretending to be asleep...probably why I can't take serious pictures now

The sign that says 'Do not climb' or 'Stay Off' is probably on the other side of the rock.

This is my favorite place to visit; Charleston, South Carolina

Fort Sumter is where I got my National Parks passport in 1998. I still stamp it.




This isn't a good picture of any of us...why did she have this scanned?


Many good memories and smiles from these pictures.  I hope you enjoyed them too! And here is a trip log of our trips through the years as told by my dad (I merely copied and pasted his list, deleted the trips I was not a part of and then assigned new numbers--his list is up to 78 since the summer that him and my mom got married in '77).


1. June 1989 Orlando and St. Augustine, Florida and
Charleston, South Carolina

2. March 1990 Chicago, Illinois

3. September 1990 Chicago, Illinois and Wisconsin

4. November 1990 Chicago, Illinois and Wisconsin

5. December 1990 Chicago, Illinois and Wisconsin

6. March 1991 Chicago, Illinois

7. March 1992 Chicago, Illinois and Wisconsin

8. July 1992 Northeast (New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania)

9. October 1992 Gatlinburg, TN

10. March 1993 Chicago, Illinois

11. July 1993 West (Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana
and South Dakota)

12. September 1994 Chicago, Illinois and Wisconsin

13. October 1994 Franklin and Gatlinburg, TN

14. July 1995 Washington, D.C.
(Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown)

15. September 1995 Franklin and Nashville, TN

16. October 1995 Chicago, Illinois and Wisconsin

17. March 1996 Natchez, Mississippi, New Orleans, Louisiana,
Texas, Hot Springs and Little Rock, Arkansas

18. June 1996 Williamsburg, Virginia, Asheville, North Carolina and Gatlinburg, TN

19.Aug/Sept. 1996 Jackson, Memphis, TN on Labor Day Weekend, stopping through
Nashville/Franklin Tennessee for antiquing and “Uncle Bud’s”

20. February 1997 Opryland Hotel, “Heart of the Country Antique
Show” on Valentine’s Day

21. April 1997 Cumberland Gap, paradise in Charleston, S.C., Isle of Palms, Fort Sumter, Sevierville, TN

22. March 1998 Sevierville, TN, Charleston, S.C., “Taste of Summerville”, “Hotel Hell”

23. June 1998 Ohio (Miamisburg and Adena Mounds),
Cincinnati Zoo

24. August 1998 Gatlinburg, TN

25. July 1999 Tucumcari, NM; Sedona, AZ; Las Vegas, NV;
Hermosa Beach, CA; Fresno, CA; Santa Rosa, CA; Eureka, CA; Vancouver, WA; Olympia, WA;
Spokane, WA; Kalispell, MT; Billings, MT; Fergus Falls, ND; Madison, WS

26.October 1999 Gatlinburg, TN, “Dixie Stampede”

27. December 1999 Destin, FL with Mom, Brenda, Terry, Renee, Greg, Katie, Sarah and a future Hunter at Jetty East

28. June 2000 Charleston, WV; Gettysburg N.P.; New Holland, PA; Valley Forge N.P.; Philadelphia, PA; Atlantic City, NJ; New York, NY; President Clinton; Clifton, NJ; Mystic, CN; Newport, RI; Cape Cod, Mass.; Boston, Mass.; Plymouth, Mass.; New Hampshire; Vermont; Niagara Falls;
Canada; Traverse City, Michigan; “SleepingBear Dunes, N.P.

29. July 2001 Nebraska! The last of the lower 48!; Castle Rock, CO; Rocky Mt., N.P.; Denver, CO; Mt Evans (14,264’); Florissant Fossil Bed, N.M.;
Colorado Springs, CO; Garden of the Gods; Durango, CO; Great Sand Dunes, N.M.; Telluride, CO; Mesa Verde, N.P.; Sedona, AZ; Four Corners; Hovenweep, N.M.; Sunset Crater, N.M.; Meteor Crater; Grand Canyon; Taos, NM;
Philmont Scout Ranch; Capulin Volcano, N.M.;
“The Desolate Empire” in Kansas

30. July 2002 Virginia, Outer Banks, NC and Charleston SC

31. Juuly 2003 New Orleans

32. July 2004 Colorado

33. August 2005 Chicago

34. August 2005 Indiana Dunes and Chicago

35. July 2006 Atlanta (Trey Anastasio concert), Savannah, Aunt Marg, Charleston, Biltmore, Cherokee

36. Dec/Jan 2006-07 Destin, Florida (with the Cornwells andHamiltons) “where are you now?”

37. April 2007 Tennessee, North Carolina, hiking in the Smokies, Sheila, Steve, Ali and Amanda

38. Dec/Jan 2007-08 Destin, with the Cornwells and the Hamiltons;
“Howdy!”...”where’s Geoffy?” At the White Gables….

39. April 2008 Chattanooga, TN; visited Condra, TN and adjacent area
including Lookout Mountain, Signal Mountain, Condra, TN
Condra Memorial Cemetery...Sheila, Steve and Amanda......
and of course, Ali's jealous!

40. July/Aug 2008 Colorado/Utah; our first “Family Flying Vacation....flying to
Denver, driving to Utah and staying in Moab and Cedar City
travelling to Glenwood Springs, CO...this trip was cut short
due to the passing of Aunt Marg...

41. Dec/Jan 2008-09 Destin, FL...back at 80 Mark St.....a very heated pool, side trip to
NOLA with the Hamiltons and a general good time with the Cornwell crew!

42. July/August 2009 Nine days of bliss atop High Top Mountain, Dillsboro, NC. Ashevilles Bele Chere Festivile, Greenville, SC Sticky Fingers....fall in the Little River and a broken little piggy, Surmiser Man...introduction to Trooper S.K. Bowers

43. Dec/Jan 2009-10 Destin, FL...back at 80 Mark St....97mph!...cooool!, Sarah and Dennis join the original "DesTen"...scavenger hunt...seafood and a search for a new abode...

44. March 2010 Washington, D.C./Maryland/Virginia/ West Virginia...Annapolis, Harper's Ferry, Nat'l. Mon., Antietam Nat'l. Battlefield... with Allison and Amanda... St. Paddy's day Parade

45. June 2010 Air Denver! Rocky Mountain high...Chaco Canyon, New Mexico...Tortilla Thom Flats, by gawd!...Tucson gunfights...Moab Brewery...Nine-Mile Canyon petroglyphs....Arches, N.P.....Loveland Pass....

No comments