Recipe: Jambalaya


Fat Tuesday came and went and left me craving some good Cajun food!  Since there is no trip to the bayou in my near future, I opted to make my parents' Jambalaya recipe at home instead.  This recipe is really simple and makes a bunch so you have easy meals the next day or two!  You may remember that my family has held several Mardi Gras parties.  As is the case, my parents have really perfected a few of my favorite Cajun recipes.


Ingredients
  • 1 (16-oz) pacakage spicy hickory-smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices (I use part Andouille and part smoked sausage)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 cups uncooked rice
  • 1 (32-oz) container chicken broth
  • 1 (14 1/2-oz) can stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped (I use chopped tomatoes)
  • 1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
  • 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1 pound unpeeled medium-sized fresh shrimp (I use frozen and already peeled)
  • 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
Cooking Directions
  1. Brown sausage in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings in pan. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 1 more minute. Add rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and next 3 ingredients.
  2. Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired.
  3. Stir in shrimp and green onions; cook 2 to 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. 


Enjoy!

No comments