Chalkboard Tutorial


I did a chalkboard as part the decor for our MOM'S party.  I thought I'd share how easy it is to create a cute chalkboard!  I drew my design out, but you can use the same methods I'm about describe by starting with a computer designed image.  

Steps:
1. Design your chalkboard image.  I searched Pinterest for inspiration and then sketched out some ideas on a regular sheet of paper. Then I created a piece of paper the exact size of my chalkboard by taping some paper together.

2. Sketch out your design on your chalkboard sized paper.  I drew a grid on my paper first and it helped me center my design.

3.  Once my design was complete, I weathered my chalkboard because it was a new chalkboard (thanks to my mom and dad for creating one out of an old frame we used in our photo booth last year).  You can skip this step if you have already done this.  Simply rub the chalkboard down with chalk and wipe around.  Weathering the board will help to ensure your design does not stick around even after you've erased completely.

4.  The next step is to completely cover the back side of your paper design in chalk by rubbing it all over the paper.  Make sure you cover it generously with the chalk as it will make the next steps easier.

5.  Once you have the back of the design chalked over, lay the paper on the chalk board and take a pencil back over your design to transfer your design to the chalkboard.

6.  Remove the design and go over your outlines with chalk accordingly to touch up, fill in, make darker, etc. your design.

7.  Enjoy your chalkboard!

Tips: 
-Keep a pencil sharpener handy when drawing with the chalk.  You can created finer detail with a sharpened piece of chalk.
-If you have a large enough piece of paper to use, use it instead of taping together printer paper as the chalky tape marks are slightly visible when transferring the image from the paper to the chalkboard.  
-Keep a damp paper towel or a small paint brush and water handy in case of any minor mistakes.
-The larger and more bold lettering is, the easier it is on you.




No comments