Hairstory + New Wash Review


This post is done in collaboration with Hairstory. As usual, this does not affect my review, and all thoughts and opinions are my own.  This post is not edited for content by any outside entity. No affiliate links are included in this post. To learn more, hop over to our Disclosure page.

I shared my everyday hair routine a couple of years ago and overall it hasn't changed much.  I have naturally curly hair.  It's thick, it's coarse, it's frizzy and it's often unruly.  I will admit to being a bit lazy in the morning when it comes to my hair.  But since I got my hair done a while back, I've been making an effort.  I prefer to have it in waves with my new hair color/style by using my flat iron.

With that, I'd like to share with you the new product that I tried out for a full month.  It's called Hairstory New Wash.  It is a detergent-free, non-toxic, one-for-all hair cleansing alternative.  Instead of detergent New Wash uses a blend of essential oils and saturated fatty cleansers.  This is what piqued my interest.  I reached out to my hair stylist and she raved about the effects of essential oils.  I decided to take the opportunity to test out Hairstory's product.

Overall, you can tell a subtle difference in my hair.  It has less frizz and just looks healthier.  I stuck to my normal routine as far as frequency of washing goes.  When I straighten my hair or curl it with my flat iron, I can go about 3 days between washes.  I tend to wash more often when I wear it naturally curly because I do need to use product on my hair but even then I tend to go at least 2 days between washing it.  I tried to keep my routine as normal as possible throughout my month trial with New Wash.

Below are my takeaways after using this product.  Overall, I really like this product.  It seemed to really agree with my hair type.

Pros

One Step Wonder:  By using New Wash, I was able to go from shampoo, conditioner, and the occasional hair mask, to just one product.  I know saving a few minutes in the shower might not be important to everyone, but I am not a morning person so every little bit helps.  I snooze every morning and sometimes it takes me a little while to get motivated enough to get out of bed and into the shower in the morning even when I am awake so saving a few minutes in the shower is actually a very wonderful thing for me!

Better Scalp Health:  Occasionally, I get a really dry scalp which leads to a small amount dandruff.  I have noticed a difference in my scalp.  It's in better health and not prone to dry skin with the use of New Wash.  Mark that as real positive when you see less dandruff!

Appearance and Feel of Hair:  I saw a noticeable change to the appearance of my hair when using this product.  It definitely helped keep frizz at bay, both when my hair was naturally curly and straight.  It also just feels healthier with New Wash.

Detergent-free + Essential Oils: There are no detergents are synthetic compounds in this product.  It relies on essential oils and other naturally derived saturated cleansers to clean your hair.  Over time, it helps revive damaged hair.


Cons 

Amount of Product Used Per Wash:  My hair falls just below my shoulders but is thick.  I felt like I was using so much product each time I washed! I basically had to pump out an amount and work in my hair and then add some more to my hair.  It was an adjustment that was hard to get used to because it seemed like I was dispensing way too much product.

No Lather/Hard to Spread Throughout Hair:  Because this doesn't use a detergent, there is no lather created when applying it to your head.  I felt like without the lather it was hard to spread throughout the hair.  Often times I would have to get more product just to completely spread it throughout.




No comments